Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Pecan Turtles

 So, so yummy! So, so easy! So, so many compliments!  THIS turtle wins the race hands down!!
Make these pecan turtles for your Valentine and you'll win their heart for sure.


In a large heavy stock pot, melt 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes.   Add 1 cup light corn syrup , 2+1/4 cups dark brown sugar and  1/8 teaspoon salt and cook until the sugar is melted.



When the sugar is completely disolved, gradually add 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk and cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.


Continue boiling the sugar/milk mixture all the while, stirring frequently.  Be patient, you'll be boiling and stirring for quite awhile.  In the meantime, spread out 1-1/2 pounds of pecan halves on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 10 minutes.



Mmmmmmm, toasted pecans! But... I digress.

 

Returning our attention to the sugar/milk mixture that has been boiling away ~ When a candy thermometer reads 248 degrees (firm-ball stage), about 16 minutes, remove the mixture from the heat and gently stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and the toasted pecans.



Drop candy by rounded tablespoons onto parchment lined baking sheets and refrigerate until firm.
In a microwave-safe bowl, and on half power, melt 1 package of milk chocolate chips with
2 tablespoons shortening; stirring until smooth.  Drizzle over turtles and refrigerate again until chocolate is fully set.  Here is the finished product.  This recipe makes approximately 24 rich, buttery candy confections.



I just know you're going to LOVE these.  I hope you'll make these for your
Valentine sweetheart!  Sending you sweet hugs and kisses.  Happy Valentine's Day! 

13 comments:

  1. OMG I think I'm in candy heaven! I'll see if my daughter would like to make these with me this weekend. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My granddaughter call these slowpokes...lol
    well, I can understand that :)

    They look so delectably delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy...what a decadent looking candy! Bet they just melted in your mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look awfully yummy! Your pictures turned out really well also!

    -Jenniffer
    http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deliciouuuuuuuuusss!!!
    A kiss from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.M.G.!!! I want! Yes easy to make but wayyyy too easy to eat! how I love chocolate covered caramel and pecans and I always buy turtles when I'm in the US! Wow! I can make them at home?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are gorgeous! I know they would make a perfect present for a very lucky person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My most favorite treat is Turtles, it is a tradition from my Dad that we always get some on our birthday and Christmas. I am going to surprise him and try making yours to give to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, how fabulous!!! I just adore turtles...wish my Valentine did so I'd have an excuse to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is making me hungy! What a great little treat for the holiday too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look delicious! Wish I could eat chocolate, I'd make these for Valentines!

    ReplyDelete