Friday, January 8, 2010

Greek Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto

And to think, I used to be afraid of risotto. Not anymore! This recipe is not my own concoction but one that is tasty, easy to prepare and quick to the dinner table.  The ingredients are so flavorful and bright that you might not be able to stop eating it (or maybe that's just me). I can't wait for you to try this recipe, but don't say I didn't warn you, when you're standing over the half empty pot with your spoon in hand, hoping you'll still have leftovers for another day by the time you're finished with it.



4 1/2 c. chicken stock  *1/2 c. increments
2 t. olive oil
2 T. unsalted butter
1 meduim red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c. Arborio rice
2 lbs. asparagus, cut into 1"-2" pieces
1 1/2  lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 c. crumbled feta cheese
1 t. dried dill weed
2 T. fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

In a meduim sauce pan, bring stock to a simmer and keep warm over a low heat.

Heat oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add onion and saute 5 minutes or until tender.  Stir in rice and garlic; saute an additional minute to coat all the rice with the butter/oil.  Add the warm stock to the onion and rice mixture, *1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of the liquid is absorbed, and before adding the next addition of stock to the rice.  Continue adding stock and stirring until all the liquid has been used and is absorbed by the rice (about 30 minutes).

Stir in the asparagus and shrimp and cook until shrimp are opaque in color and cooked through, continuing to stir frequently.  When shrimp and asparagus are fully cooked, remove from heat and add in the dill weed, feta cheese and lemon juice. Stir to combine and your ready to serve.  That's it.  Easy peasy!  Now hurry and go get your big spoon!
 
I'd love to hear your comments, so don't be shy about leaving them.
Until next time: Live, Love, Cook!


3 comments:

  1. Hello<!!
    Well here you are cooking more than just cookies:)
    Bravo, where you find the time I do not know.

    I would say this is a blog that will excel, as foodie blogs are contagious! LOL
    Welcome to the world!

    mysterymeatloaf.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come eat at your house? I make food but don't cook like this but I do enjoy reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had trouble with risotto too, but I'm seeing more and more risotto recipes this week. Must be the weather or time for me to try it again!

    Love the idea of Shimp with risotto!!

    ReplyDelete